What should I look for in a spinal cord injury rehabilitation?
- A program that is CARF accredited in Spinal Cord Injury
- A program with an interdisciplinary team focused on a common goal: YOUR recovery
- A program with a perspective of care dedicated to preparing for the moment you leave acute inpatient rehabilitation
- A program that is flexible and takes caregivers into consideration
- A program that provides patients and their caregivers with an ongoing support system
- A program with a team driven by a spirit of hope, healing, and compassion
What else can my caregivers and I expect at RHI?
Our goal is for patients in our spinal cord injury program to regain as much independence as possible.
- Caregiver involvement from day one is key to patient success.
- Caregivers should schedule time to attend therapy sessions.
- Caregivers attending therapy should come ready to learn and willing to participate.
- Caregivers should be prepared that some tasks may pose challenges for both caregiver and their loved one.
- Caregivers should encourage their loved one to act as independently as possible.
- Caregivers should not plan to stay overnight at RHI; caregivers need their rest, too.
What should I expect when I arrive to RHI?
Your first day at RHI will be light to allow you to transition and get settled.
- Nurse will greet you when you arrive
- Head-to-toe assessment by your nurse
- A visit with your physician is possible depending upon your arrival time
- Meet your care coordinator
- Comprehensive evaluations by the treatment team
- Meet your therapists who will each assess your abilities and set goals
- Meet with a clinical dietician
- Meet with a wound care specialist (if needed)
Your therapist team will include:
- An occupational therapist
- A physical therapist
- A speech therapist (if needed)
- A therapeutic recreation specialist (if needed)
What is the daily routine for spinal cord injury patients?
We simulate a real day so you can return to a daily routine. Here is a sample day for an RHI patient.
PATIENT DAILY ROUTINE
6:00AM - 7:00AM
Wake up and get dressed
7:30AM - 8:30AM
Eat breakfast and socialize in RHI cafeteria or in program common area (not in patient rooms)
8:30AM - 11:30PM
Morning therapy sessions
11:30PM - 12:30PM
Lunch and socialize in the cafeteria or program common area
1:00PM - 4:30PM
Afternoon therapy sessions
4:30PM - 6:00PM
Dinner and socialize in the cafeteria or program common area
6:00PM - 9:00PM
Relax, socialize, and bathe
9:00PM - 10:00PM
Get ready for bed